Thursday, April 23, 2015

Thoughts From Sam #3: Interviews


I've been scheduling, attending, and just in general talking to lots of people from various different companies recently. Looking for a job is crazy amounts of work. More work then I think I actually have time for right now. My classes are all really easy, but they all are quite a bit of work. I have no idea why I did that to myself. Anyways, I digress.

Pretty much anytime someone calls me from an unknown number. I have no idea who it is. So, I have to decide if I want to talk to someone about a job right this instance or if I want to wait and call them back later. Neither of them sound very exciting to me.

If I chose to answer the phone then there's the struggle of hearing which company they are with. Then most of the time they don't even tell you what position you applied for. When I spend time applying for jobs I usually apply to a bunch all at once. So, honestly, I probably didn't look at their company name. So, I have no recollection of what position I applied for this company and unless you ask them they generally don't inform you. So, if I forget to ask I then must go look up this company on the million of job websites I'm on.

Once you know what the company is about and what position you applied for its time to freak out about what to wear to the actual interview and stress about what you're saying. However, if you've gone to a couple hopefully you have your answers ready already and it won't be that bad. Interviewing is a lot about being yourself. That way you come off the most genuine. Plus, if you're me if you do the interview super nervous its not nearly as good as it could of been. However, it might also mean that that position just wasn't for you since you didn't feel comfortable.

Sorry, if this is just me ranting about applying for jobs, but applying for jobs and many different types of jobs at once is hard. You're constantly tweaking your cover letter and resumes and then when you finally talk to someone you have no idea what position they're talking about. So, am I telling a staffing agent what I want to do with the rest of my life or did I just tell the Marketing firm that I never want to work with them.

Basically ask questions. I haven't yet started doing it yet. So, this post is probably partially written for myself as much as you. haha.

What hints do you have about going to interviews? or applying to jobs?

No comments:

Post a Comment