Thursday, April 16, 2015

Thoughts from Sam #2: Advice

Advice, we give it, we get it, but do we ever really use it. If you're my best friend Amanda, she'll say I never listen to it. However, what she really means is I never listen to a specific kind of advice, her advice about guys. (Side note: I listened yesterday. And for the record she never listens to my advice either about guys. It just comes up less because she's been in a relationship for like ever).

So, she has refused to give me advice on guys. However, advice about clothes she'll give me until I'm blue in the face. I often don't even want the advice by the end of it. Granted I ask her for both. So, the clothing one might just be my own fault.

Although, I rarely listen to her advice about guys it is not because I do not want her advice. It's because I want to do what I want to do. Just because we are asking for someone's advice does not mean we have to follow them and do exactly that. It means we would like their opinion on what we should do.

However, if you're me. You usually want verification that what you're doing is right and that you should do. She doesn't usually agree that I should do what I want to do. It does keep me from doing it for a little while. Sometimes, forever or until something else occurs. I don't intentionally ignore her advice, I listen to it. I just think her advice isn't the right advice for a lot of the time. Which, maybe I should stick to because now I'm in a weird situation.

What I'm saying is if you want to know someone else's advice. Ask, you should know the good and bad of what you do if you want to know because sometimes what you want could change, the actions you take could change. I think advice is always a good thing. Do I sometimes use it for the wrong purposes? Yes, but I'm also pretty sure in one of those psych or sociology classes Amanda took she said that the universal reason people ask for advice is to reinforce what they want to do.

Do you guys like to receive advice? Do you like to hand out advice when it appears the recipient never listens?

No comments:

Post a Comment